Monday, October 7, 2013

Spicy Sunday Stew and Polenta

Scott and I have been ranch bound these past few weeks. Working on projects at home and catching up on things that needed tending to. That means less dining out for Melissa Good Taste and more cooking! 

I got to break out my favorite tool in the kitchen, My Red Lodge Dutch Oven!


I felt like making something homey and comforting. I love, love Polenta and Stew so I made that, kicked up a few notches!!

I started by blending up an 7 ounce Embasa Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce. I whirled it up so it was smooth. If you are not a real spice fan, only use half of this can and maybe sub in a small can of tomato paste. A 7 oz can of this will really set your mouth on fire so be careful!

I used a little over two lbs of stew meat and it was plenty for the two of us, even for leftovers. I dusted the meat with flour, salt, pepper, garlic and cumin.

Then with a little olive il in the pot, brown the meat - let it get a brown crust.

To the mix add the chile, 4 cups beef broth and whatever other spices you desire. Garlic would be fine, I just didn't have any on hand bit it would be lovely.

Now put your feet up and relax! Read a book, watch a movie... The stew has to cook under the low flame with the lid on for 3 hours. Cook long enough that the meat falls apart and the stew reduces a bit. 

Presto, chango, alkazam! 
Here it is! 

Spicy Sunday Stew with polenta.
I went the fast and easy way with the polenta because Scott and I were really into a movie. I put the polenta in a pyrex, with water and salt (always salt your polenta water), plastic wrapped it and put it in the microwave for twelve minutes. It works! Microwave temperatures vary so adjust how you need to. I mixed until smooth and added two cups of cheddar cheese. It was fantastic!

Enjoy!

No comments: