Sunday, September 23, 2012

Creamy Cilantro Chicken - Ojai, CA

We have been outside working a lot and the weather has been hot so when I get in the last thing I have the energy for is something fabulous in the kitchen. Salads are easy but not the kind of fulfillment I crave at the end of the day.  On that note, I dreamt up something easy, quick and simple on my way to the grocery store yesterday and surprised my husband with it last night. Read it, make it, love it!

CREAMY CILANTRO CHICKEN

Start off by chopping up a medium sized onion, yellow or white, whatever you have on hand. In a large sized pan get some butter hot and get them cooking over a low flame. We want them soft.

Once the onions have cooked down in size and have a little bit of color to them add a package of breast tenders. They are small in size and cook up fast! In the same pan as the onions place the chicken on top and brown them on both sides Salt and pepper them while they are here. Keep an eye on these as they will cook quickly because of their size.

Once the chicken in cooked through, add a half a jar of Herdez Salsa Verde. It has some kick so if spice isn't your thing maybe substitute for a similar salsa.

Add the entire tub of the 8 oz. portion size. I used Light Sour Cream because I think it tastes almost the same as the original stuff, an easy way to save some calories. Turn down the heat and make sure to mix the sour cream and salsa until it is a smooth creamy sauce.

Squeeze half a lemon into the sauce - mix.


Last but not least, my favorite part in throwing in some roughly chopped cilantro. It is so worth it and totally tasty. Give the sauce a final taste and add whatever you feel like it is missing or lacking.

 While you are cooking make sure you throw one of these bad boys in the microwave. I used one bag for two people so you may have to whip up more if you have more mouths to feed. I really enjoyed serving the chicken and sauce over the "Spanish Style"rice so I suggest you try it too.

This meal will be an easy go to recipe in my bag of tricks. I can promise you that! ENJOY!




No comments: