Saturday, March 3, 2012

Roasted Chicken and Parmesan Risotto

A few posts ago I was wanting to make a few changes in my life that made me feel stronger, faster and better at pretty much everything that I do. So, I pushed up sleeves and tackled roasting a whole chicken, I have never done it before and wanted to cross it off the list . Cooking healthy (ok, risotto not so much) and having fun in the kitchen with Scott is what our Friday night plan was. So here we go...

 
With a bath in olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic and a quartered lemon tucked inside the bird it sunbathed int he oven at 425 degrees for an hour and a half. Let it rest for 10 minutes before carving. 

So Easy!

Some of you may think Risotto is tricky, I know I thought so. But try it this way and you will love it forever!

MELISSA'S RISOTTO
  • Set oven to 350 degrees
  • Put 1 1/2 cups arborio rice and 4 cups chicken broth in a dutch oven (Le Creuset makes a nice one)
  • Cover and bake in oven for 45 minutes
  • Remove from oven and set over low flame on stove
  • Mix in 1 cup chicken broth, 1 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (not the powder junk, please), 1 cup white wine, 3 Tablespoons butter,  salt and pepper to taste 
  • Mix for 2 -3 minutes until all melted and creamy
  • Done! Eat up while it is hot... Don't count the calories either.

Scott hard at work, practicing for Thanksgiving.

I also roasted asparagus in the oven after I took the chicken out to rest. In a pyrex, coat asparagus with olive oil and salt and pepper, lots of pepper! 10 minutes in the oven at 425 degrees is probably enough. It just depends on how you like your asparagus cooked.I took the pan juice from the chicken and poured it over the meat and risotto because it was so flavorful. I could not let it go to waste!

Bon appetit! Pour yourself a glass of win e from the leftover bottle from the risotto and savor every bite. We had so much fun and it couldn't have been easier! Now get in the kitchen and try it yourself, message me if you have any questions.

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Beautiful dinner Melissa. But after years of cooking, I was shocked to see you cooked that chicken at 425 degrees - wow. It looks perfect, and I am sure it is delicious, but we have always done ours lower. What is your secret?

Melissa Good Taste said...

No secret. Just set it and forget it!