Friday, December 16, 2011

Joe T. Garcia's - Fort Worth, TX

Let me just start off this post to state that I love all things Mexican food. I pretty much started this blog only reviewing Mexican food because that is all I liked to eat. I have heard by many Texans, and non, that Joe T. Garcia's is the ultimate in Mexican cuisine and I, Melissa Good Taste, had to try it.

First up the chips and salsa. This is usually the first indication of whether or not your meal is about to be a good one. In my opinion the salsa was lacking flavor, it was certainly hot but that was it. Heat does not equal tasty but you know there has to be a fine balance of both.

K-Daz (aka my mom) ordered a Chile Relleno and it was a huge bummer. Stuffed with ground beef (weird) and the cheese inside was cold. The only thing that was delicious in this photo was the guacamole in the background. 

We shared the shredded beef tacos and they were probably the best thing we had overall. 

My plate: Shredded Beef Enchilada served with rice and beans. I hate when they put garnish on hot food. The lettuce gets all soggy and weird. Anyhow, the beans were paste, the rice suitable but the enchilada was pretty marginal. It just does not live up to my California standard. We have great Mexican food!

As you can tell by now, my food tour through Texas was not what I was hoping for. I was underwhelmed by the quality and was shocked when this place was Cash Only. How weird is that? 

3 comments:

Jill said...

I've been to Joe T's many times. I agree with you about the food... not great. However, most of my friends like Joe T's for the great patio and magaritas.

Did you try Chuy's? It's an Austin 'institution' and my FAVORITE Mexican Food. Actually, it's Tex-Mex but so yummy. Ask for the Creamy Jalapeno Dip. It's free but you have to know about it and ask for it. I could drink it with a straw.

Melissa Good Taste said...

Hi Jill! I haven't made it to Austin yet but when I do, Chuy's will be first on the list!!

SkippyMom said...

I was kind of sensing Texas was letting you down. That surprises me because you are always so equitable in your reviews.

Your plate on this review tho' - I could hardly see the "main" course. Looks like they were trying to offload the day's ends worth of beans so they didn't have to reuse them tomorrow. Wow.

I hope Jill's suggestion of Chuy's is better.