Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mezcal - San Jose, Ca

A trip to Oak Ridge made me hungry. Hungry enough to wander to Downtown San Jose. After walking what seemed like 3 miles - I finally made up my mind on Mezcal - Oaxacan Bistro & Mezcal Bar. I figured I love Mexican food! Alright!! Little did I know it was so not just Mexican food...




This photo is taken from outside looking in. We sat outside under a propane heater, it was a chilly evening in San Jose.


So we sit down and get these fabulous menus. They were punched tin and totally unique - I like that. So our drink order was taken and I asked for chips and salsa. The waiter then told me that they do not have salsa, but something much better - mole! I said, "Well, great.. bring it out here. I am hungry!" He then described the menu, which included Fried Grasshoppers! He said Oaxacan food was much different than the usual Mexican food - sour cream, salsa, flour tortilla and nachos. Something a tad more authentic and native to Oaxaca. Intriguing...


This is the Mole that they brought out with the chips. The one on the far left is the Black Oaxacan mole made from a base of chocolate. The middle one was my least favorite, I will call it "Red" because of the bright hue. It had too much of a tomato paste flavor and was the last one to go. The last one on the right came in a close second place in the mole tasting. "Yellow" had a tomatillo and peanut base and it was tangy. Yummy. Cheers to Mole!




Enmoladas - Fried corn tortillas topped with black Oaxacan Mole, queso fresco, chopped onions made vegetarian style. This was so yum! You know how I love extra sauce with everything - well, I got it all right! The black beans, sauteed vegetables and rice were served in a trio platter with an unlimited refill journey.



Mole Negro - Chicken covered with black Oaxacan Mole made from chiles, spices, seeds and chocolate served with rice and handmade corn tortillas. So much sauce, very tender piece of chicken. Love.

The food is very unique at Mezcal... at least that's the idea. It's 'authentic Mexican cuisine' you know, the type 'real Mexicans' eat in 'real Mexico.' Anyway, the basics are the same; meat and cheeses within a 'taco, enchilada, tamale' type dishes... good but nothing incredible or especially unique. I had a great time experiencing something new, even if there was not any sour cream or melty cheese. The prices were decent, service kind of slow but atmosphere was great. I like that it was different! Melissa Good Taste says - yes! 1.5 thumbs up.

5 comments:

imjustatree said...

looks great. i'm not sure if i've really had mole before...first time i've seen it given w/ chips. i'll have to look for a place around here now...

Heather said...

wow, all that mole looks delicious!!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That mole sounds incredible. I could eat Mexican for days! We're having a giveaway today. Check it out if you have the time!

foodhoe said...

Yum, everything sounded so good! I love sauce too, especially if it's spicy and topped with melted cheese...

Unknown said...

Having spent some time in Oaxaca knowing that a place like this exists here is amazing! This the real thing and welcome change to what is viewed as comida Mexicana here in the South Bay. ¡Buen Provecho!