Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mariscos Puerto Vallarta - Bakersfield, Ca

After my go at the cutting on Saturday Mom and I needed some relief from the hot sun and mostly the flies! They were brutal. Kathy had overheard a fellow cutter say that they ate dinner here and it was mostly all seafood. Hey, we were in! Mexican and Seafood are my two loves so how could this let me down?

Inside the quaint little Mexican Seafood Restaurant. Nothing fancy, but neat and tidy. Good sign...


Mexican Coke in a bottle and a Corona. I deserved it. I showed well :)



Ok. Now this is where things got a little weird. Mom and I were craving chips and salsa right? Well out came this little seafood concoction. I am going to assume it was a ceviche of sorts... However, it tasted mostly like pico de gallo mixed around with tuna fish. I am not saying it was bad but give me some spice, give me some flavor... can I have real salsa? No. That was all they had. Dohhhhhhhh...


If you know Kathy Good Taste at all you know she can not leave a Mexican restaurant before trying their version of guacamole. We ordered and look what came. A big pot of chunky avocado goodness - yes. It was missing a few things... salt, pepper, salsa and some sort of acidity. We added all those things and it really came together. Maybe we should open our own Mexican restaurant.


Yikes. Sadly, this was my order. Doesn't a Crab Tostada sound terrific on a warm day? Instead of REAL pieces of lump crab meat I got a tostada full of cute little imitation crab nuggets. The lack of salsa or anything besides avocado for that matter, made it extremely difficult to choke down.

Kathy made the same bad decision I did with the Tostada... except her seafood at least swam in the sea at some point in its life. Blah, bland and dry are three words I can come up with to describe this dish. Sigh...

Mariscos Puerto Vallarta had so much potential. They had a menu of all things seafood that sounded so convincingly delicious. What they need to do is get some real salsa in that joint. Serve the tuna fish concoction as an appetizer. I promise it will work. When someone orders a tostada or taco dump that salsa on it, or at least sour cream so it goes down a little better. I thought the waitresses were sweet and kept the restaurant very clean. One thumb up for cold drinks, well salted chips and a friendly service.

13 comments:

Jennifer Good Taste said...

It sounds like your eating adventures in Bakersfield did not go too well! Yikes! That much crappy food sure would make me cranky . . . I would have knocked that imitation crab tostata to the floor!

Diamond Dog said...

How do you cut a horse? Do you use a big knife? Does the horse scream a lot?

Stick to IN-N-Out in Bakersfield!

foodhoe said...

oof, what a disappointing meal - hate it when it starts off badly and then just keeps going on badly. Looks like they need someone overseeing things in the kitchen who knows how to cook...

SuperLarge said...

At least you got a real Mexican Coke in a glass bottle. Those are worth their weight in gold.

Jessica@Foodmayhem said...

Haha, I had to laugh when you started adding stuff to the guac to fix it.

Shelly Borrell said...

Interesting looking Tostados -- I like the big hunk of avocado on top and the shrimp size isn't too bad, but you're right, it does look dry. I'd have to add a bunch of salsa and mash up that avocado on top. And forget the fake krab. It seems hard to find good real crab around -- I've never even seen it in a California Roll :) I've just accepted that one, kinda. Ciao.

Shelly, Nibbles of T

Anonymous said...

what a bummer on that meal! it looks well-intentioned and all the basic components are there, but you shouldn't have to season your own food when you're paying someone else to do the prep!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Seasoning your own food at a Mexican restaurant? Yikes. I think the tuna might have put me over the edge.

said...

Mexican food suck in Atlanta! I wish we had some authentic Mexican food like that here!!

Anonymous said...

mexican and seafood? what a great combo! I can't believe it was that crappy! looks are deceiving!

Diana said...

That's a bummer that the meal didn't live up to expectations! I think the most appealing thing in your post was the Mexican coke! Yum!

Jill said...

Oh Yuck... I DON'T like imitation crab. I'm glad you enjoyed the drinks and salty chips. I love some salty chips.

I'm working on a blog post for next week about crazy/strange foods I've had. You'll have to check it out.

Unknown said...

girl, i would have walked out if i saw that pile of imitation crab and tuna in the salsa. *puke*