Saturday, October 18, 2008

Whole Pumpkin Baked with Cream and Cheese

I actually made this!
It combines my two loves - Fall and soup! I love it! I experimented for Thanksgiving and boy am I glad I did! Let me walk you through the process...

Get a 2-4 lb pumpkin from your grocery store, pumpkin stand or local farm... your choice, they are all good. I recommend one a little larger than a cantaloupe. Next up is my favorite - the cheese!Gruyère cheese or any melting cheese, up to 1 pound. I know a pound seems excessive but, each pumpkin serves 4-6 people. You will need a few cups of cream, two Tablespoons of butter and nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. Preheat your oven to 375.

Slice the top of the pumpkin like you would if you were carving pumpkins. Clean out the seeds and maybe put them aside to bake later. I love pumpkin seeds. Scoop out all pulp. Fill the pumpkin with grated Gruyère cheese until about a third full.

Fill the pumpkin with cream until about two-thirds full. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Throw in a knob of butter, because we all know that pumpkins and butter always pair well.

Replace the pumpkin top. The filled pumpkin is now ready to bake. Bake at 375 for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until tender and spoonable. Check the pumpkins for doneness by removing the lid and poking it with a knife.


I took off the lid of the pumpkin for the last 30 minutes to brown the cheese on the top.

All done! Isn't it beautiful? Serve while it is still hot and bubbly! Be sure to scrape the inside of the pumpkin as you serve into bowls or as I did and eat it directly from the pumpkin solo! ;)

2 comments:

Gabiigurl said...

The pumpkin dish looks so good! I love pumpkin and cheese but sadly I am lactose intolerant. You take great pictures too.

Jamey said...

wow that is cool! I love your site, I am a very picky eater not willing to try new places to eat, this is wonderful, that you do the first visit for me! thanks!